February 1, 2011

January 2011 Results!

Well well, one month has passed and I guess you are all curious on how I am keeping on with my resolutions (those who missed it can read it here)!  Reflecting back, January was a colourful month, really.  I got sick for almost half of the month (at one point, I actually thought I had to be going to the hospital!) and in another part of the world, a country was recovering from a sickness it had had for over two decades.  This country, Tunisia, where some of my close friends are from, had enough of its long-reigning regime and toppled the government through people power, similar to what happened in the Philippines in 1980s (?) and Indonesia in late 1990s.  This unexpected movement apparently inspired people of Yemen and Egypt to march on the street in protests against their own governments.  I still shiver when I recall what followed the Indonesian people movement back then in 1997 so my prayers are for these nations, hoping that whatever the end result might be, peace will prevail.

All right, back to my resolutions.  I promised myself to read one book every two months and I have just two chapters left in the book I'm reading, "Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting" (which I will review in a separate post).  To be honest, I actually planned to finish the whole book this month as I have been reading it for more than half a year now (a procastinator, that's me!)  But it's not too bad as I actually finished around half of it in this month only.  This book is actually quite interesting, but just like many other self-help books, the messages tend to be repeated over and over again and just like millions in my generation, I want everything straight-forward and done in a zap. 

Next up... getting a Group Trainer certification (a three-day training on how to conduct an effective training for a group of people, for you the uninitiated).  I should have actually done this a long time ago since it supports my current job, but due to various reasons (which I am not in full control of), I was never able to secure a seat in this highly popular training.  I have re-submitted my application a couple of days back and am still crossing fingers.

How about a six-pack?  Admittedly, I am still far from having a two-pack, let alone six.  January was a hectic month for me and I fell sick for two weeks.  But summer is coming and I have started visiting the gym again, hopefully in time for a summer body!

Twenty Japanese words or phrases... well, I've learned 14 of them, so it's quite close, although I am still having difficulties remembering them all (except the bad & gross ones hehehe).  Most of them are slangs & words you cannot find in a common dictionary :)

Oh, but I actually did write up two new posts in my blog.  I actually did four, which is double what I planned.  And they are actually quite popular (read: someone actually read them!) and helped to achieve my other goal, which is 50 visits to my blog monthly.  Again, 50 is actually a very small number, but considering I do not post anything provocative or prohibited by law, I will still be happy with 50 :)  That said, the total number of visits in January was a surprising 99, the highest number of monthly visits so far! 

I must admit that I haven't really ticked all the boxes, but I'm quite proud of myself (this, I read, is a step forward towards success).  A part of me wants to raise the bar a little bit, but the other thinks it is too early.  I can't wait to see what February has for me :)

How are you keeping up with your resolutions?  Feel free to share your stories!

0 comments:

Post a Comment